Article: Informations about Paraiyar
Use License : Creative Commons - CC BY-SA 3.0
ParaiyarParaiyar or Parayar (in the past, anglicised as Pariah; translated as "slave") is a caste group found in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. They are also known as Adi Dravida ("Original Dravidian"), which was a title encouraged by the British Raj as a substitute for Paraiyar because the British believed that their colonising of the country had ended slavery in India.Irschick (1994), pp 168-169.The Indian census of 2001 reported that in Tamil Nadu the Adi Dravida population was about 5,402,755 and the Paraiyar population as 1,860,519.
HistorySome scholars presume that Paraiyars must have been followers of Buddhism, constituted the original population and after the invasion by Brahmanical conquerors, they lost their culture, religion, wealth and status in the society and become destitute.Bergunder (2004), pp. 67 - 72.
Right-hand caste factionParaiyars belong to the Valangai ("Right-hand caste faction"). Some of them assume the title Valangamattan ("people of the right-hand division"). The Valangai comprised castes with an agricultural basis while the Idangai consisted of castes involved in manufacturing. Valangai, which was better organised politically.
British colonial eraIn the second half of the 19th century, there were frequent descriptions of the Paraiyars in official documents and reformist tracts as being "disinherited sons of the earth".Irschick (1994), pp 153â190. Bergunder (2004), p. 68. The first reference to the idea may be that written by Francis Whyte Ellis in 1818, where he writes that the Paraiyars "affect to consider themselves as the real proprietors of the soilâ. In 1894, William Goudie, a Weslyan missionary, said that the Paraiyars are self-evidently the "disinherited children of the soil".
Sakya Buddha Society and Theosophical SocietyIyothee Thass, a Siddha doctor by occupation, belonged to a Paraiyar elite. In 1898, Thass and a large number of his followers converted to Buddhism and founded the Sakya Buddha Society (cÄkkaiya putta caá¹ kam) with the influential mediation of Henry Steel Olcott of the Theosophical Society. Olcott subsequently and greatly supported the Tamil Paraiyar Buddhists.Bergunder (2004), p. 67.
Adidravida Jana Sabha and the term AdidravidaThe Parayar Mahajana Sabha was founded by Rettamalai Srinivasan in 1892. In 1895, Thass founded the âPeopleâs Assembly of Urdravidiansâ (Adidravida Jana Sabha) in Madras. Michael Bergunder says that those associated with Thass claimed the description Urdravidian or Adidravidan, still a common synonym for Paraiyars in South India, and Iyothee Thass was the first to introduce the concept of Adidravida into political discussion and in the 1920s and 1930s. E.V.Ramasami ensured the wide dissemination of this term.Bergunder (2004), p. 69.
* Thol. Thirumavalavan, Member of the Parliament and the President of the Viduthalai Chiruthaigal political party
Religious and spiritual leaders
* Poykayil Johannan, rejected Christianity and Hinduism to found the Prathyaksha Raksha Daiva Sabha
Social reformers and activists
* M. C. Rajah, (1883â1943) was a politician, social and political activist from the Indian state of Tamil Nadu
* Rettamalai Srinivasan (1860â1945), a Dalit activist, politician from the Indian state of Tamil Nadu
* Iyothee Thass Pandithar (1845â1914), founded the Sakya Buddhist Society (also known as Indian Buddhist Association)
Category: Social groups of Kerala
Category: Sri Lankan Tamil society
Category: Dalit communities
Category: Social groups of Tamil Nadu
Text without tables, images or media files *
¬ language: en ( )
¬ database utilized: 2015/02
Generate PDF file ( online )
Download for developers ( soon )
Help to keep the Wikipedia, donations start with only $ 5 . . .
* The above partially modified text is available under the Creative Commons - Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Edit this article / automated translation
Space destined for new content such as Comments, Updates, Suggestions, Constructive Criticism, Questions and Answers about "Paraiyar", doubts and solutions that help other visitors, users, students, professionals, etc.
Important ( before send a comment ) : Don't use this space to send another requests as content removals, claims, complaints, or to warn about errors that occurred on this page. Please, [
click here] to report these or any other kind of problem for Paraiyar, even if it is temporary error or in the server...
Part of this page can be based on free documentation and paid or open content, including multimedia, therefore specific requests should be sent to the external source, the site Articles.Portal-TOL.net is not responsible for its edition and any page refresh can be made immediately or in a short and long term periods, depending on the origin.
- paraiyar v|
- Konga Paraiyar's Urumi Melam in Kalamangalam Kulavilakkamman temple
- IF Arunthathiyar women is attacked, then Pallar and paraiyar women dont speak in support
- ALL INDIA PARAIYAR PERAVAI
- SEEMAN Speech ABout 'VANNIYAR - PARAIYAR' Unity- Must Watch
- Paraiyar Marriage Dance
- Paraiyar's Murder their daughter for marrying Arunthahtiyar boy
- thirupanikarshalkulam paraiyar kotaiel seththirai thiruvela
- new hero of paraiyar
- THENI ALLINAGARAM PARAIYAR TV ADD
- channel Paraiyar _ ( )
- channel lakshman paraiyar ( )
- playlist meyyaranbu - ilayaraja concert
- channel Yuvasenthil Ramalingam ( Yuvasenthilkumar )
- channel SIVA KUTTY ( )
- channel Prem Kumar ( )
- channel Maran Madhan ( )